The Ontario By Bike Network aims to operate as an inclusive network of organizations and businesses that welcome cyclists. However, we continually review participating locations and make assessments on the eligibility and continued relevance of registered locations, as well with new applications.
These assessments may determine, for example, that a participating location should be switched to a more relevant certification category, removed as a Network listing or placed elsewhere on our website (as a resource for cyclists), or be removed entirely from the website.
These program assessments and possible exclusions are in association with, but are not limited to, the following situations and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis:
- All locations: That cannot (or no longer) comply with criteria from any of the certification categories, as outlined on OntarioByBike.ca/criteria
- Double Listings: If your location could fall under multiple categories, a primary category must be selected and used. Businesses are only eligible for one business listing per physical location and business name. ie – You are wanting to list a hotel accommodation and also a restaurant that is on-site, select and register as an accommodation only, as that is your primary business. You can include info on your food services or other categories within your description. (Valid as of 2019, all previous double listings will be honored until contact can be made with registered users).
- Accommodations – All: For accommodations to be approved, locations must operate a stand-alone website and/or be affiliated with a vacation rental management company, with access to personal account manager. AirBnB or VRBO locations are not permitted unless these stipulations are complied with.
- Public spaces, community parks or other locations: That are not tourism-focused in nature or do not fall in line with criteria from any of the certification categories, as outlined on OntarioByBike.ca/criteria
- Multinational Corporations: (Food Service category only) That are not tourism-focused in nature, nor have made exemplary steps to accommodate cyclists will not be allowed to register. Additionally, those that do not offer local or regional cycling information, or have staff that are knowledgeable and able to instruct cyclists of local or regional cycling features (e.g. routes, bike rental or stores, where to access cycling and visitor information) will also not be able to register. Previously existing locations may remain registered, but are subject to the same assessments as other participating locations.
- Toronto – accommodations only: Currently, within the city of Toronto boundaries, only accommodations, bike shops, bike tours and bike rental locations are eligible to register and become certified as bicycle-friendly within the Ontario By Bike Network.
- Parks and conservation areas: Parks Canada, Ontario Provincial Parks and various other regional or municipal parks, conservation areas and facilities will be considered as inclusions under “Tourist Attractions”, if the location is able to comply with the criteria set for this category, including access to washrooms, on-site supervision and programming and recreational equipment rentals.
- Bicycle-related organizations and committees: That do not offer bicycle sales, rentals, tours or repairs will be included elsewhere on the Ontario By Bike website, as a resource for cyclists.
Notifications and Announcements:
The Ontario By Bike Network will make a reasonable effort to contact the Account Holder of a listings and notify them of the decisions made based on these assessments. Where possible, the Network will provide solutions and work with the Account Holders to find opportunities for them to continue to promote their location to cyclists, through the Network.
The Ontario By Bike Network reserves the right to cancel Network participation at its discretion. The Ontario By Bike Network is under no obligation to provide any reasons for doing so (although in practice we may, at our discretion, do so). (For example: A participating location fails to adhere to the obligatory minimum requirements.). The Ontario By Bike Network may make changes to this document from time to time and is not obliged to inform Network participants of these changes, although in practice we may, at our discretion. Please check these Terms regularly to ensure that you are aware of all terms governing Network exclusions.
For more information please contact Ontario By Bike
Phone: 416-827-2774 or toll free: 1-866-701-2774
Email: info [at] ontariobybike.ca